[governance] Facebook profiles blocked and content removed in Brazil

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu May 31 02:37:24 EDT 2012

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> If we look at what is recently happening in Thailand as Peng Hwa and
> Norbert reported on the notions of transitory liability where webmasters or
> the like can face liability (not just fines) but imprisonment for not
> removing content, I am not surprised.

Regardless of whether one considers it acceptable for Facebook to
forbid nudity in their ToS and act accordingly, im my mind there
is no question that whatever freedom of expression issues there
may be with nudity restrictions on Facebook, the issue of webmaster
liability is a freedom of expression problem of a much more serious
kind.

I would propose that the public interest would be best served by
focusing the global public policy debates as much as possible on
the more serious problems and on what can be done to effectively
address them.

Greetings,
Norbert