[governance] Facebook profiles blocked and content removed in Brazil

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed May 30 17:31:42 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Marilia Maciel <mariliamaciel at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Sala,
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
>

>> Most countries have what is called "laws against obscene publications"
>> and some "indecent exposure" and I suspect that Brazil has something of the
>> sort which required the authorities to .take down certain content.
>>

> It was not Brazilian authorities that have taken down content from
> Facebook. The concrete situation is actually quite the opposite: while
> Brazilian authorities had no problem with the march and Brazilian media
> (newspapers, TV) had no problem to show the images, Facebook has taken a
> more conservative and restrictive stance, removing the pictures and
> blocking the profiles.
>
> Facebook probably took this approach because its social network transcends
multiple jurisdictions that have strict laws on "obscene publications". The
recent petition filed by Vinay Rai in the New Delhi courts against Facebook
and others. My personal take on it was that it was a *commercial* decision
for "Facebook" and that it was far cheaper to take down offensive content
if it were to put it in a position of being sued.

Their commercial woes are no secret, see below:

*"Facebook's IPO troubles continue with the stock hitting a new low, the
company facing a class action lawsuit from investors, and now another
social network indefinitely postponing its own IPO because of the effect
Facebook has had on the market.*

Less than two weeks after Facebook’s IPO launched, the company’s value has
fallen from an estimated $104 billion to $61.98 billion, with trading
falling even further today as the markets opened again in the US after the
holiday weekend. That’s the bad news for the social network. The worse
news? Things aren’t expected to improve any time soon.

Continuing its trend of falling share prices when the overall market rises
(Today, the NASDAQ closed up), Facebook stock took another tumble in
today’s trading, falling an additional 10 percent from its opening
price, bringing
its overall price to a new low of
$28.84<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/may/29/facebook-shares-fall-new-low>,
almost a full $10 down from the $38 price that the stock launched at on May
18, bringing the company’s core value down to just almost $62 billion. With
the company facing a class action lawsuit over the information released to
investors prior to the IPO brought by the law firm of Robbins Geller, the
last thing the company needs to hear is that things are about to get worse,
but apparently, they will."

Read more:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/facebook-now-worth-40-percent-less-11-days-after-ipo/#ixzz1wOGAQsz2

> The content was removed based on Facebook policy guidelines. It is
> Facebook rules, Facebook morality, which have been applied indistictively
> in a cross-border fashion  to citizens worlwide.

Well if one examines how they have been under pressure by Regulators around
the world, one that comes to mind is the imposition of the German Regulator
on the use of "like feature" that facebook uses, one can only imagine that
what is reported is the tip of the iceberg. Often commercial entities like
to keep their compliance notices under wraps if they can help it. No doubt
that the cumulative cost would be inevitably high so commercially, their
policy was probably framed around the "Don't attract unnecessary cost/
expense" model. This of course has a backdrop in what is largely a flailing
global economy where there is no new money just pieces of the pie being
reassembled.

If we look at what is recently happening in Thailand as Peng Hwa and
Norbert reported on the notions of transitory liability where webmasters or
the like can face liability (not just fines) but imprisonment for not
removing content, I am not surprised.

> Some basic conclusions: a) rights, such as freedom of expression, are
> being restricted by the same platforms that are praised and known for
> enabling their exercise; b) there is a privatization of Internet
> regulation, subtle, based on contracts (terms of use), but yet, dangerous;
> c) I see no adequate forum where we should take this issue to be analized
> in a participatory and balanced way in the global arena.

The UN Human Rights Council in February this year were discussing Freedom
of Expression although I wish more ti me was spent on discussing the abuse
of the exceptions under Article 19 of the ICCPR.

On the notion of Facebook morailty - this has to be analysed on a case by
case basis, I suppose.