[governance] Facebook profiles blocked and content removed in Brazil

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed May 30 21:17:20 EDT 2012

> >> which required the authorities to .take down certain content.
> >

> > It was not Brazilian authorities that have taken down content from
> Facebook.
> > The concrete situation is actually quite the opposite: while Brazilian
> > authorities had no problem with the march and Brazilian media
> (newspapers,
> > TV) had no problem to show the images, Facebook has taken a more
> > conservative and restrictive stance, removing the pictures and blocking
> the
> > profiles.
> >
> > The content was removed based on Facebook policy guidelines. It is
> Facebook
> > rules, Facebook morality, which have been applied indistictively in a
> > cross-border fashion  to citizens worlwide.

Article 3 (7) on Facebook's Terms "You will not post content that: is
hateful, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity
or graphic or gratuitous violence."
This is in line with the exceptions under Article 19 of the ICCPR as
explained by La Rue .Facebook Terms are found here:
http://www.facebook.com/legal/terms and most countries laws prohibit hate
speech, nudity etc.

> > Some basic conclusions: a) rights, such as freedom of expression,
>
> Why would one who uses FB think they can express themselves outside of
> the FB ToS/AUP?
>

>  are being
> > restricted by the same platforms that are praised and known for enabling
> > their exercise; b) there is a privatization of Internet regulation,
> subtle,
> > based on contracts (terms of use)
>
> Would you argue that Internet companies have NO ToS?
>

> , but yet, dangerous; c) I see no adequate
> > forum where we should take this issue to be analized in a participatory
> and
> > balanced way in the global arena.
>

> Nor should there be IMHO.
>

> --