[governance] IGF and Enhanced Cooperation

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue May 29 10:39:15 EDT 2012

I'd like to support and amplify Bill's comment below:

Ideally, we could try to quickly get beyond more lengthy deconstructions of The Tao of the Tunis Agenda and the search for The One True Meaning of EC and focus on such items as a) in what specific issue areas do people believe something important is not being done or is being done badly, and b) what institutional mechanisms if any (centralized/decentralized, omnibus/issue-specific, etc) or enhancements to extant arrangements might be useful in helping the international community to address said problems.
Amen. The debate over what EC means is striking me as increasingly irrelevant if taken literally. But of course we all know that there is an agenda underlying it, so the various parties debating whether we are or are not engaged properly in something called "Enhanced Cooperation" really need to be more explicit about what that agenda is. IT would greatly improve this debate if they would tell  us what problems they are trying to solve. If it is simply U.S. control of the root, let's discuss U.S. control of the root, and not cloak it in rhetorical garbage. It also makes it easier for us to determine whether the proposed institutional mechanisms are improvements…or not.
Timing is a real problem.  Unless we're prepared to ask people to add an extra day to their trip, this would have to be on Monday 5th, competing not only with GigaNet, ISOC, etc, but also the Ministerial, which the Government reps will inevitably feel compelled to attend if able.
Based on that alone, I would say that a pre-event should be off the table. GigaNet might be able to accommodate a multistakeholder, non-academic jointly organized panel on that topic (but I would have to get approval of its program committee).

Milton L. Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
Internet Governance Project
http://blog.internetgovernance.org