[governance] IGF and Enhanced Cooperation

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue May 29 07:40:58 EDT 2012

Hi,

I am hoping  that the MAG members look at the CSTD meeting and the aftereffects and decides, that this is needed and thus do something.

The workshops the MAG had to choose between where the ones that the previous lame duck MAG invited.  the main sessions are the ones that same MAG defined.  At that point there was a blindness as to whether EC could be discussed.   Now, after the CSTD show that blindness should be lifting. Now there is hopefully a different view.  Beleive me, had they asked for workshops on EC, there would have been some.

The MAG is in charge.  It can do what it thinks is right.  And it can define any meeting or type of meeting it thinks will move things forward.

I believe that the IGF12 will be remiss if it does not have a major session on EC and how the IGF can move the topic forward.

As a civil society particpant, I am aksing the civil society MAG members whether you think this is something that should happen?  If not, why not?   I guess you explained why you think it is a bad idea.

If, however, other MAG members think it is something that does make sense, then why not bring it up and help it happen?

BTW, I see no problem with the pre-session competing with Giganet.  There are people enough for both things.  I think the crowd that cares about EC is very different than the crowd that cares about academic papers on IG.  And we were told quite specifically by the hosts that their Ministerial had NOTHING to do with the IGF, so it makes no sense to let that stand in the way of anything.

avri