[governance] IGF and Enhanced Cooperation

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Mon May 28 10:37:59 EDT 2012

Hi,

Personally I think we need to keep pushing for something during IGF2012.

Let's go into WCIT with the IGF having made room for the problem and having started the process.  We have 5 months yet before the meeting, things can't possibly be set in stone at this point.  We have a new MAG that was forced to accept a program they were not completely comfortable with, they are entitled to still be thinking about how to make IGF12 as valuable as they possibly can.  (Not that I have the faintest idea of whether they would be interested in taking such action)

And whether we can get it into the IGF12 agenda, which I think its the optimal solution, or not, I think the idea that Anriette mentioned on the list earlier:

On 27 May 2012, at 11:22, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:

> Dear Avri
>
> We definitely must use the IGF and APC is already thinking of planning a
> pre-event on this. Not finalised.. and we are talking to various
> partners.. but I feel strongly we must facilitate substantive dialogue.
>
> The IGF was set up to facilitate such discussions. Some people tried to
> prevent this from happening. I think they now realise that a) they might
> have been wrong and/or b) further avoidance is not in the interest of
> the IGF or of multi-stakeholder participation in IG.
>
> Anriette

Perhaps since 71 puts the responsibility on the relevant organizations (which I take to mean the mangers of critical Internet resources) to get this underway: "Relevant organizations should commence a process towards enhanced cooperation involving all stakeholders", it won't be to hard to find a set of good sponsors for such an event.

But to be clear. I would like to see both a full day pre-event discussion, and for that event to bring a report (dare i say recommendations?) to the IGF in a workshop arranged for discussion of EC and the IGF.

avri