[governance] IGF and Enhanced Cooperation

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon May 28 09:10:11 EDT 2012

On 28 May 2012, at 02:23, Andrea Glorioso wrote:

> Leaving aside for a moment the subsequent UNGA resolution on the matter (but noting that even though, strictly speaking, we are not talking about binding international law, the principle of "lex posterior" could apply) I would be curious to know your views on which passages of the WSIS texts could lead to such conclusion.

I think I may have already sent this to this list at some point, but it bears repeating often.

In terms of my personal opinion, I think the Tunis Agenda actually places responsiblity for the Enhanced Cooperation with the Forum.
As I read the Tunis Agenda text,

- 67 calls for a forum in a general sense,
- 68 calls for the equal participation of governments,
- 69 call for enhanced cooperation
- 70 calls for the participation of existing IG organizations and creation of principles,
- 71 calls for UNSG initiation of a multistakeholder process on enhanced cooperation with yearly status reports and
- 72 defines the forum called for in 67.

In other words the entire discussion is bracketed by the notion of a forum.  It is called for, it is described, one task is brought out more than any other, and then they get into the nitty gritty of the forum called for in 67.  In any case it is certain that the TA called for the process of EC, whether we argue it is in or out of the context of the IGF, that it must also be a multistakeholder process: from 71: "... should commence a process towards enhanced cooperation involving all stakeholders,"

avri