[governance] IGF and Enhanced Cooperation

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon May 28 02:55:49 EDT 2012

In message
<CAOLD2+YB7zwfereN48V=0uZ-z=2K67B9u4i4Z4hqwsFJ+K8k8w at mail.gmail.com>, at
08:23:48 on Mon, 28 May 2012, Andrea Glorioso <andrea at digitalpolicy.it>
writes
>both during the WSIS week in Geneva and recently on this mailing list I
>had the occasion to hear/read a number of persons claiming (rather
>forcefully) that the conclusions of the WSIS "clearly" meant the IGF to
>be the or at least an instrument to implement Enhanced Cooperation.
>
>Leaving aside for a moment the subsequent UNGA resolution on the matter
>(but noting that even though, strictly speaking, we are not talking
>about binding international law, the principle of "lex posterior" could
>apply) I would be curious to know your views on which passages of the
>WSIS texts could lead to such conclusion.

I refer you to my posting (18 May 2012 11:41:44) which describe why I
believe the IGF is part of the delivery mechanism of EC (for example
when ICANN runs an Open Forum it is engaging in capacity building to
encourage stakeholders, including governments, to be come more aware and
involved in ICANN). Similarly the ITU running an IGF workshop on
Cybersecurity[1].

But it is only a small part, the bulk of the responsibility falling upon
numerous organisations to do outreach outwith the IGF, for the other 51
weeks of the year.

[1] Some are sceptical about such a role in Cybersecurity, but the ITU
     are perfectly entitled to their workshop.
--
Roland Perry