[governance] CSTD: Adopted Resolution on WSIS and access to statements and recordings

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun May 27 14:04:04 EDT 2012

Avri,

I have nothing against being utopian -- I've been accused of that virtue
myself from time to time, the problem is that utopianism can sometimes
divert energy and attention away from more practical approaches to the same
issues and that I think has been happening in spades around the Internet
where a lot of (dare I say naïve) utopiansim has diverted a lot of energy
away from the practical work of figuring out how to use the Internet to
enhance and deepen democracy including through increased participation,
through strengthening bottom up processes as I've spent the last 15 years or
so trying to do through community informatics, through providing
opportunities for contributions from multiple stakeholders as and where
appropriate and so on.

But unfortunately as you well know a lot of the efforts driven by utopian
dreams around using the Internet for democratic purposes have foundered
precisely on the shoals of "scaling up"... Using the Internet for enhancing
participation (a la "likes" on Facebook, or "signing on" to Avaaz petitions
is one thing, actually making workable decisions democratically even in a
group as small as we are is something else again.

My feeling now is that democracy can be enhanced by working both bottom up
and top down... Bottom up -- by using ICTs to strengthen community
capabilities particularly in enhancing participation in decision making of
more immediate relevance to them, but also top down by opening up existing
channels to broader participation, including multi-stakeholder contributions
as input into broadbased democratic decision making; by enhancing the
transparency and accountability of bureaucratic and political decision
making through implementing the optimal opportunities for bottom up
participation in those processes that ICTs present; and by overall beginning
a process of adapting existing decision making and administrative structures
and processes to the enhanced capability for information flow, transparency,
accountability/participation and so on which ICTs provide.

It's going to be a long hard slog but a necessary one I think and better to
start off both with the head in the clouds and the feet in the muck.

Mike