[governance] CSTD: Adopted Resolution on WSIS and access to statements and recordings

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun May 27 10:41:56 EDT 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the update.  I must say I am relieved in many way.  On the Chairman's paper, did they make him change i, or does it get to go in the balanced way it was written?  I was impressed by its even handedness.  I wonder who actually penned the words.

I think you offer a good analysis and approach.   I think you are right, a new summit would only make things worse.

I think the only reason we argue about government oversight or not, is because that remains the sword above our heads, and probably will for therest of the year.  I agree that cooperation over the actual substance would be preferable.

As for Enhanced Cooperation (EC), I see real opportunity for IGF12 to pick this up, at least to the extent of having a significant IGF session on it in Baku.  I know it is not something the MAG talked about, they probably thought they couldn't.  But now there is an opportunity and a void.  Let IGF, who has been working on the topic for a while, just not calling it that, take charge and really start to explore how IGF mechanisms to increase EC.  BTW, I don't mean another CSTD run session, though I guess I am grateful they were as open as they were, but an IGF session.  There are still 5 months until Baku, and this could be a useful discussion for people to have: Given the void in EC leadership and the words of the Tunis Agenda, what can the IGF do to encourage and recommend further Enhanced Cooperation.  Who know, perhaps we can define a few empirical projects (with pre-defined follow-up metrics) to see if specific modalities can actually assist in furthering cooperation.

avri