IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri May 25 11:36:08 EDT 2012

Avri,

To be clear... Your original position was ``I think that the IETF practice
of taking three steps before deeming something a standard is part of their
accountability story.  First they code and prove that something works before
making it a proposed standard, then they test in the real world on the real
Internet and fix it and call it a draft standard, and only when it becomes
fully functional and mainstream in the world does it become a full
standard.``

That is that somehow a code (law?) is formulated (how, and by whom, and with
what process, with what ``accountability``?); then it is ``proven that it
works`` (proven to whom, by what criteria, by what process, by what
``accountability``);  then it becomes a ``proposed standard`` (fledgling
law?) which is ```tested in the real world``, (who does the ``testing``, who
are the ``test`` subjects (do they get to have ``informed consent``), what
are the criteria of the tests, how are the results of the ``tests``
evaluated and so on); ``and only when it becomes fully functional and
mainstream in the world does it become a full standard`` (presumably you
mean law here) (what is the process for having the law become ``fully
functional`` and ``mainstream`` or rather what does a law look like that
isn`t ``fully functional`` and ``mainstream``?

I compeletely agree with the need for much more open and inclusive (and
bottom up--``community informatics`` based :)`processes of policy and law
making (BTW the folks who advocate strongest for ``open processes`` usually
leave out the second part i.e. ``and inclusive``) but in the formulation you
keep pressing forward in this discussion all I see is a quite bizarre set of
likely scenarios in the real world.

I agree with the formulation by Parminder in his address to the Working
Group i.e. to separate out the technical and the non-technical aspects of
policy making with an IETF process perhaps being the appropriate one for the
technical--I have no opinion (or experience) on that... Also, I`ve suggested
what I think is a very interesting way of approaching the non-technical
areas (that which is emerging from the Open Government Partnership Process)
and in earlier emails I`ve indicated some of the reasons why I think such an
approach might be relevant here.

I see no particular reason apart from proximity to go with an IETF approach
and certainly I`ve seen no convincing arguments in that direction (apart
from faith in its effectiveness in other, quite different spheres... I agree
with the need for moving forward and pragmatically with approaches to policy
making but one of the things I do know (also as a former student of
Philosophy) where you end up generally is determined by where you start and
so I think it is not unimportant that we be quite clear and somewhat
dispassionate on the matters which we are now discussing.

Best,