IETF, Twitter and Security (Was: Re: [governance] Warning : Twitter Hack)

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Fri May 25 09:18:03 EDT 2012

McTim,

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Bertrand de La Chapelle
> <bdelachapelle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > as some of you may already know, there is a big hack circulating using
> > Twitter to get passwords. and I was not vigilant enough.
> >
> > You receive a personal message saying something like : "someone is saying
> > bad things about you" with a bit.ly URL from somebody you DO know, who has
> > been compromised.
>
> Like this:
>

> Hello someone is making really bad rumors about you... bit.ly/JAOciW
> Direct message sent by B. de La Chapelle (@bdelachapelle) to you
> (@_McTim) on May 24, 9:38 PM.
>        bdelachapelle
> B. de La Chapelle
>

> Not to worry, have already had one from another ICANN Director, so you
> are in good company!
>
> P.S. @Andrea....Is this the kind of thing the IETF is supposed to fix?

In RFC3935 / BCP95 ("A mission statement for the IETF") I can read:
"The goal of the IETF is to make the Internet work better. [...] The
mission of the IETF is to produce high quality, relevant technical and
engineering documents that influence the way people design, use, and
manage the Internet in such a way as to make the Internet work better.
[...] Considering security is one of the core principles of sound
network engineering for the Internet".

So, would the world be that off the mark by thinking that security
problems such as those that happened to Bertrand and you (and to me as
well some days ago, by the way) are something for the IETF to think
about?

Best,

Andrea

I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself.
Keep it in mind.
Twitter: @andreaglorioso
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/andrea.glorioso
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=1749288&trk=tab_pro