IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue May 22 17:03:12 EDT 2012

I continually find the argument that "IETF works well" to be based on very
little real analysis.

I consider the IETF model to be one which which may have been suitable in
the early internet days but which has probably outlived its usefulness. I
think Tim Berners Lee knew that as long ago as the early 1990s when he moved
WWW standards setting elsewhere.

If the criteria for judging IETF is solving the Internet's main technical
problems, it's hard to rank them highly. Basic matters such as security and
identity and seem to still need a lot of work.

If the basic criteria is creating lots of standards, they do quite well.
There are thousands of them, often overlapping and sometimes unable to
operate with each other. But if the criteria is adoption of standards, they
don't do very well - from the 20-year-to-date slow adoption of IPv6 to many
other standards that just wallow in the RFC archives.

I think we should stop pretending that IETF creates some sort of model to
follow, and analyse its performance and figure whether some other structure,
merger, replacement, or set of improvements might be more suitable for this
day and age.

IETF was recently described on this list as a meritocracy. Is that a
reasonable assessment, and if so, is that the sort of model for internet
governance we wish to propagate?

Again, I would like to see some decent analysis rather than the belief that
since it has been with us since the good old days it must be good.

Ian Peter

PS one of the things that seems fairly standard in business management is
that the sort of structures that work well for organisations in their early
stages don't necessarily scale to mature and much more complex
organisational needs, and radical change of structure is fairly normal
evolution. We seem to resist that in internet matters.