[governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Tue May 22 04:21:00 EDT 2012

Dear Norbert, dear all,

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> So I would suggest that the way forward will have to involve proposals
> of concrete substantive topic areas to be addressed by the "Enhanced
> Cooperation" process and its institutions, together with a strong
> commitment to seek, through true multistakeholder discussions, a good
> way to model this "Enhanced Cooperation" process on how things work in
> the IETF.

I may have misunderstood and/or missed something, but it seems to me you
are suggesting that there is something in the procedures of the IETF that
shields it from "undue influence" by "powerful stakeholders" etc. I am not
questioning this assumption (at least not right now) but I wonder whether
- assuming I have correctly understood - there are some analytical bases
to this assumption. Not the least because one may distill such processes /
characteristics and try to replicate them elsewhere (although I must say I
am by default unconvinced of the possibility to replicate the processes of
the IETF outside of the very narrow remit of the "organisation").

Best,

--
I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.