AW: [governance] Twitter officially shutdown to Internet users in Pakistan

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon May 21 04:31:48 EDT 2012

Just FYI:

When we disucssed access to documents for the forthcoming ITU-WCIT conference in Dubai in December 2012 during the recent WSIS Forum, the governmental representative of the United Arab Emirates argued that there is no need that Civil Society people have access to those documents. They are represented by their national governments. At least the UAE represent "their people" he said and he hopes that also other governments represent "their people". Good to know.

I would be interested how the "Emirates Identity Authority", which distributed in Geneva a 200 page publication advertising its "ID Card" project, which has fingerprints and other biometric individual data, included the local civil society organisations in developing the policy for the ID card. The UAE ID Card is obviously a great project which represents - as the authority says - the highest standard in the world. When I was searching for provisions for individual data protection I was unable to find even the word "data protection" or "privacy" in the 200 page report. I would be indeed interested to find out how the UAE governmental representative, who claimed to represent his people, has consulted the individuals who will get the ID card, in the PDP and decision making process for the making of the ID card.

http://www.eida.gov.ae/en/home.aspx

Wolfgang