[governance] Twitter officially shutdown to Internet users in Pakistan

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Mon May 21 02:59:23 EDT 2012

Hi Mike

On May 20, 2012, at 5:41 PM, michael gurstein wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Is this a fact that Iran and Pakistann have indicated that they  "would like
> 'the oversight of the Internet's critical technical and logical
> infrastructure" to be "transferred to an appropriate, democratic and
> participative multilateral body.'"

Uh, yes..?  Both governments have made statements publicly and privately calling for intergovernmental control over CIR since WSIS phase I.  "Democratic" and "multilateral" have been consistent, the other words have varied, sometimes "suitable," "inclusive" etc.

> If so would it be possible to share the reference and if possible a listing
> of all the other countries that have similarly indicated this as a
> preference.

Sorry, I don't have handy copies of the transcripts from every WSIS, WGIG, IGF, CSTD, ITU etc. meeting in which they and others have expressed their preferences, but I imagine if you dig around with a search engine of your choice you should find some stuff.

Cheers

Bill