[governance] CSTD Meeting on EC, Memo 3

CAFEC cafec3m at yahoo.fr
Sun May 20 06:03:24 EDT 2012

Please Sala

Can you tell me who like member of IGcaucus is still in Geneva. Its very urgent

Baudouin

COORDINATION SOUS REGIONALE ACSIS AFRIQUE CENTRALE
COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFEC
COORDINATION NATIONALE REPRONTIC
courriel:cafec3m at yahoo.fr/repronticrdc3m at yahoo.fr/sam2006 at francophone.net
téléphone: 00243 998983491

________________________________
 De : Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>
À : governance at lists.igcaucus.org; Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org>
Envoyé le : Vendredi 18 mai 2012 13h29
Objet : Re: [governance] CSTD Meeting on EC, Memo 3

Thanks very useful. I just have a few questions in-line

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:

Betty King, US Ambassador,

>Distributed Internet requires distributed actions, no single
>institution is needed
>US appreciated steps, both in and outside UN system after WSIS
>We are pleased to see IGF mandate extended for another 5 years
>
>periodical review of Tunis agenda
>
>US is pleased that government cooperation on internet public policy – increased
>EC on critical Intenet public policy, capacity building, all occurring
>ICANN partnership to promote linguistic

[What do they mean when they say linguistic? Are they referring to IDNs?]

One more – next Wednesday at CSTD session, Expert Panel on Universal
>Service fund to harness rural community
>practical terms –how ICT served help bridge digital divide

[This will be great because it  affects and impacts the issue of "access". However, it will be good to get 2 diversely polarised views on Universal Service from the German Telco experience and the Universal Service advocates experience and to see various alternative models and sustainability. It will be good to also explore the PPP dimensions and utilize the expertise within the Private Sector.

Whilst studies show consistently that ICT is an enabler for economic growth - it is also  a tool for "Power and Control"Iran for example, their government deliberately gives the individuals negligible speeds which is literally not useful nor conducive to communication and they are driven by fear that there will be a repeat of Egypt or Tunisia.

Masdame,? Ambassador of Egypt

--

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT