[governance] <Draft> IGC Statement for CSTD Meeting on Enhanced Cooperation

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Fri May 18 09:44:24 EDT 2012

In 20 min or so, CSTD Meeting on Enhanced Cooperation will resume,
and listening to the presentations by Anriette, Parminder and Marilia
this morning
and also withthe hallway conversation, I plan to make the follow statement.

If you have compelling comments, please do not hesitate to send here.
Please be "constructive" - if you don't like some words, offer alternative,
for example.
Until last moment, I will do my best to accommodate.

Sorry for this last minute effort.

izumi

----

I am one of the two co-coordinators of the Civil Society Internet
Governance Caucus which was established during the first phase of WSIS
in 2003 as part of all CS families, and as remaining few mostly
engaged in IGF activities.

We are encouraged to see the constructive dialogue around EC here today.
However, we are also quite disappointed today to see that during the
General Discussion, priority was given to CSTD member states
government and all other stakeholders, civil society one of them, were
put on hold, or in the second class until late afternoon.

We made the following consensus statement to the UN consultation on
Enhanced Cooperation 15 November 2010:
“The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus regards the process
towards enhanced cooperation as a vital step towards addressing the
"many cross-cutting international public policy issues that require
attention and are not adequately addressed by the current mechanisms"
(Tunis Agenda para 68).”

We are proud that the Civil Society of the planet today is as diverse
as the mankind. We have quite a few active members from the South, -
three civil society speakers this morning, Anriette, Parminder and
Marilia are all active member of our caucus, and they are all from the
south. We have also many members from the north, North as well as from
the East and the West as well as gender and other diversities.

When it comes to specifics, our diversity is often reflected in our
different views, as was shown from our three excellent speakers this
morning.

Well now, 18 months later, our “bottom-line” is,
- keep the principles endorsed by the Tunis Agenda, especially, to
hold to the principles of:

Many CS members support the principle of democratic global governance
and the need for IG forums where all stakeholders are equally, and
effectively represented.

We hope to see the further productive dialogue, one way or other in a
truly open forum allowing all stakeholders to reach consensus on equal
footing of this difficult challenge of Enhanced Cooperation.

Thank you.