[governance] CSTD Meeting on EC, Memo 3, Afternoon

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Fri May 18 10:34:49 EDT 2012

Only governments are given floor, and may not have time for others to say
anything. IF that happnes, very bad, and proves that CSTD is not the best
place to continue this discussion.

Anyway, please read the air here before we may be given the floor.

----

15:55
Canada
Heather
on EC
civil society, private sector, tech community contributions are vital
improving inclusiveness
strong participant of enhanced cooperation initiatives, including IGF,
are necessary to progress
capacity building a priority

GAC – 135 members

Ask the chair to give assurance to give sufficient time here to
non-governmental members.

Chair
provided to translator until 6 pm

Algeria
We heard two contradictory messages,
need for -many speakers voiced doubt
Why prejudge UN – even it has not started!
UN to look at such important matter as Internet Governance.
This morning, a speaker of government took the position – his stance
there is a new position, message – they are ready for the fight. Ready
to enter into debate. We hope this is a new position and approach.
Good news.
Algeria is ready to debate, provide arguments, restructure the
reorganization of the Internet.
In 2004, there were too innovative in that climate, but now we are
ready in the light of all the changes that occurred recently.
We are in favor of the need to give each and everyone the place that
befalls him, the Internet Governance.

Ambassador of India
Internet is a living entity, expanding and evolving continuously
EC process has to be brought to various fora including IBSA at EC
consultation in Nov 2010 and CSTD, ECOSOC and UN GA.
There are many cross-cutting policy issues, privacy, piracy, etc.
India made a proposal to setup a Committee on Internet Related
Policies in line with Tunis agenda.
India will be pragmatic and flexible in this approach.

Iran
Question - Composition of the panel this morning
Why there was no one from the government on the panel?
At the end of Wsis negotiation process, facing the dilemma how to
reach consensus – two parallel – one is IGF and another is EC.
ask for the unfulfilled part of the Tunis mandate.
IGF is lucky enough and flourished, congratulate it, will try to
contribute to its success.
But the second one has not been fulfilled.
After the review on the desirability of continuation of IGF
 one is Improvement,
 second one – to provide new demand and momentum for EC, neglected
fulfill the mandate, it’s negotiation, not forum
So our proposal is to create a inter-governmental mechanism in UN, to
fulfil the mandate to negotiate at appropriate level
as speedy as possible, af

Chair
the government to chose one was difficult

Belgium
implementation efforts should be enhanced within existing institutions in MSH

Sudan Minister
need for the respect of freedom in searching and requiring, collecting
and disseminating information – further stated in UDHR
difficulty in downloading open source material, not able to obtain
Window or other MS license
urge all stakeholder, to reaffirm the right of individuals
Domain names – two paras be reflected
ICANN is owned by USG
it be government owned
 Arabic domain name- not able to achieve yet

Switzerland
Thomas
spending hours of repeating these two divergent views, not coming closer
consultations in 2012, missed the opportunity
it does not make sense to continue this much longer
try to agree on next step to Enhanced Cooperation
Swiss – compromise, to hold interactive multi-stakeholder consultation
EC is started or not does not matter in our opinion
We plea to all stakeholders for the next step.

We plea to all stakeholders for the next step.

on IGF, urge governments and others to seriously consider the MSH
funding in MSH process.

support Canada’s urge to give the floor to non-gov members.

<Applause>