[governance] India's proposal for a 50 member UN committee for Internet Related Policies

Sivasubramanian M isolatednet at gmail.com
Fri May 18 09:41:37 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>wrote:

> - Parminder, in your article you mention that you have the support of
> civil society. Just blasting your views everywhere has the media thinking
> all of civil society agrees with your views. There is , well, considerable
> disagreement with many of your points. Please recognize that and recognize
> that and stop insinuating  that you have a broad level of support.

Parminder seems to have given the impression to The Hindu that he is an
Authority on the subject of Internet Governance as "*He has been a special
adviser to the Chair of U.N. Internet Governance Forum and has been
coordinator of the premier global civil society network in the internet
governance arena, the Internet Governance Caucus. He has worked extensively
on development issues with respect to global Internet governance"

*And a claim that he has the support of Civil Society would have an effect
on the unsuspecting reader that the Civil Society is of the same opinion.
At least the Government of India would think so.

My comments as an individual on the article at page
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article3426292.ece is as below:

Internet Governance is being discussed in a multi-stakeholder framework, a
framework where Business, Governments, Civil Society, International
Organizations and the Academic Community is seated equally. This is the 6th
year of the Internet Governance Forum as the multi-stakeholder forum.

The author champions the idea of a multi-lateral framework of Governments
deciding on how the user will use the Internet and how the Governments
would control it, largely in exclusion of Business and other stakeholders.
This idea is wrapped up as a proposal to "democratize" the "US controlled"
Internet Governance presently "subject to" the "policies of rich country
clubs", an incediary argument with a ploy to transfer the technical and
policy funcitons of the Internet to the International Telecommunications
Union which would then control the Internet in the UN environment and
thereby have total and complete control of all communications.* Parminder
works for IT for Change which appears to lead an "ITU for Change" campaign.*
from:  Sivasubramanian M
Posted on: May 17, 2012 at 20:13 IST