[governance] India's proposal for a 50 member UN committee for Internet Related Policies

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri May 18 09:41:53 EDT 2012

Monopolies aren't the only firms who act against the global public interest(s), so too do run-of-the-mill firms in a competitive market. Not all of their abuses are checked by competition law. Other regulation such as consumer protection law is also needed, and this is often ineffective in cross-border commerce. Moreover, consumer law in some jurisdictions is quite lax - and I would have to include the US here. For example, the use of lengthy and legalistic terms and conditions that detract from consumer rights is rife online, and this is something that US law explicitly allows. In other jurisdictions, there is regulation of unfair contract terms, recognising the fictitious nature of freedom of contract between consumers and large firms. But the dominance of US online businesses effectively trumps these protections elsewhere in the world.