[governance] Visit to spain SCAM

Jac sm Kee jac at apcwomen.org
Fri May 18 01:13:56 EDT 2012

to share a best practice documented by AWARE, a women's rights
organisation in singapore.

there's been a fair number of cases of long-term cons in dating
relationships - where men start up long-distance relationships with
women and then promising to meet them, but then come across personal
difficulty (money being stolen, business deal needing to go through
first, ex-wife harassing for money etc etc etc), so asking the victim
to wire over chunks of money which gets bigger and bigger through time
until they get fed up, or realise it's a con, by which time money has
been lost and they have to start the bewildering process of getting
redress.

so western union has started asking their clients before wiring money
about: do you know this person personally, did you start an online
relationship, this could be a con, letting them know about cases they
have encountered and managing to prevent some of these cases from
happening.

sometimes people just dont know about this, and when are asked some
key questions and informed about common cons at the point of decision
making, it really helps to build awareness and can be an effective
form of prevention. faster than the cumbersome cyber security units at
least, who also infuse much of their investigation with a certain
level of stereotyped and sexist responses.

On 16/05/2012 20:15, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:
> - Once I had friends over for dinner and I received an email
> purporting to be from one of my friends from her legitimate email
> account stating that she was stuck in the United Kingdom and needed
> me to wire money over. What was amusing was that I showed her the
> email I received and she was shocked/angry/embarrassed; - I then
> forwarded the email to our Cyber Crimes Unit in Fiji and also
> googled the closest Police Station next to where she was supposed
> to have wired the money and reported it to their cyber crimes unit.
> They could not attend to it because it was a common occurrence or
> perhaps because they felt like it was not their problem or that I
> was not a UK national;
>
> Countries have regional and international cooperation through the
> various Treaties in relation to law enforcement....but often the
> average internet user whose privacy has been invaded has no
> recourse because he/she is dealing with an "invisible enemy".
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Ginger Paque <ginger at paque.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I know of Zeeshan Shoki since 2009 as an online person from the
>> University of Karachi, interested in IG. I have seen other email
>> accounts hacked this way, so I have some sympathy/empathy. As he
>> recovers his accounts, I hope he will update us on what happened,
>> if nothing else, so we can learn from his experience.
>>
>> If however, he is having serious problems with his email account
>> being compromised, he might not be reading this thread, or be
>> aware that the email was propagated through it.
>>
>> Cheers... Ginger

- --
Jac sm Kee
Women's Rights Policy Coordinator
Association for Progressive Communications
www.apc.org | erotics.apc.org | www.takebackthetech.net
Skype: jhybeturle | Twitter: jhybe