[governance] IGC Talking Points for Enhanced Cooperation workshop

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Thu May 17 18:40:19 EDT 2012

Only "break a leg" theatrical slang for deliver your usual excellent
performance.
And by "performance" I'm not being snide.
I very much admire the way you always seem to find the words to be
diplomatic yet make the point strongly and clearly.
Good luck!
Deirdre

On 17 May 2012 16:42, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:

> Thanks Lee for the encouragement.
>
> The reason I brought this up even at the last minute is, as the
> co-coordinator,
> I would rather like to be criticized for what I did than what I did NOT do.
>
> Yet, if you look at the program tomorrow, there we have Anriette,
> Parminder,
> and Marilia as the speakers. Other are Mr Toure, SG of ITU, Mr. Nigel
> Hickson,
> Vice President for Europe, ICANN, Markus Kummer, and Marilyne Cade.
> So with three speakers from CS, both diverse views and also some common
> areas will be presented.
>
> After the initial one our of these prsentations, second session of 1 hour
> and
> third session of three hours are all devoted to "General Discussion" where
> I expect many attendees should be able to make comments.  I may try
> some ad hoc thing, will be careful in presenting these, not "represent" IGC
> nor present full consensus at all.
>
> Any more advices?
>
> izumi
>

> 2012/5/18 Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu>:
> > Izumi,
> >
> > Let's not get too shy all of a sudden. If you get 30 seconds to
> reiterate/reconfirm IGC's position on enhanced cooperation referencing the
> 2010 statement, that's good.
> >
> > If you get a minute then you can ad lib something more with words like
> 'democratic, global' that I'm sure IGC members would all agree on.
> >
> > I doubt we can engage the deeper dialogue on the meaning of
> multistakeholder or democratic or even reach a new consensus definition on
> enhanced cooperation, by tomorrow.
> >
> > So agreed prepping a more formal IGC text in advance is tough.
> >
> > But hey you're our co-coordinator, if you get a chance, wing it
> (American slang for - improvise) - and then we can all complain about you
> afterward ; )
> >
> > Lee

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979