[governance] MAG Meeting, Day 2, Afternoon

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu May 17 12:08:49 EDT 2012

Just one point...

"Izumi: Principle level: Treat "remote" participants equal to physical
participants as much as possible."

In the discussion of several months ago on remote participation the point
was made (although perhaps not in these words) that it was important to
recognize that people participating remotely were not "equal" in their
opportunities for participation and in practice never would be. What is
important as a principle is to recognize the differences in opportunities
for participation remotely as compared to f2f and to build in mechanisms to
ensure that the "outcomes" achievable from participation whether remote or
f2f were as "equal" as possible.

A subtle point perhaps but one that I think is crucial as it provides
direction for the design of the overall IGF not simply of processes of
"participation" but also of the desired/anticipated outcomes of the IGF
itself.

Mike