[governance] Proposal for an IGF working group on EC

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed May 16 23:01:51 EDT 2012

On 16/05/12 22:54, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:
> Attached (and below) is a statement and proposal on EC that we hope to
> discuss further, online, and then also in the CSTD consultation on
> enhanced cooperation on Friday 18 May here in Geneva. Note that this is
> not yet an official APC position. Members are still discussing it.

Thanks for the opportunity to give feedback on this draft statement
Anriette (which I am re-attaching for the benefit of the CC
recipients).  Personally and wearing my Consumers International hat, we
are convinced of the need for all stakeholders to collaboratively
develop a better global norm-setting framework for addressing
border-crossing public policy issues concerning the Internet.

India's CIRP model was welcome as the first serious proposal to respond
to the enhanced cooperation mandate from WSIS, which had otherwise been
deliberately neglected by all stakeholders who were either privileged
under the status quo, or were too risk-averse to sanction the
consideration of more globally democratic alternatives.

However, it would be premature to endorse the CIRP model (as the IT for
Change statement does too much for our liking), before all stakeholders
have had an opportunity to collaborate on improving it, in a setting
such as the CSTD working group that the IT for Change statement (to its
credit) calls for, or the IGF working group that APC is proposing to
call for through this statement.

Such a group, whether at the CSTD or the IGF, may be able to reach
consensus on a less traditional institutional form, that is further from
the UK-linked multilateral body that the CIRP represents, and closer to
a balanced network of stakeholders in which power over Internet policy
development is shared, as in a consociation.  This ultimately would be a
better outcome for civil society.

In either case, the first step is the formation of such a
multi-stakeholder working group, and we therefore wholeheartedly support
both the APC statement and the IT for Change statement in that regard.
Our member in Geneva, Romain Houéhou, will be expressing these
sentiments during the consultation meeting.
--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer*

Follow @ConsumersInt <http://twitter.com/Consumers_Int>