[governance] MAG meeting, open to observers, Morning - before Coffee Break, May 16

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Wed May 16 05:55:15 EDT 2012

May 16
MAG Meeting,
9:30
MAG started with the self-introduction of new MAG members.

Chengetai
Non-MAG members – primarily as observers
non-MAG members to participate in groups,

Aysha
welcome – in person
Chatham House rule – for small groups
welcoming in email exchange-  confusing
online groups – not include non-MAG members

Mervi
in the agenda –talk about Ministerial meeting

Chengetai
Ministerial meeting is NOT IGF event as such, it’s totally up to the
Chair, but it’s a side event that happens before

Chair
ask MAG members to concentrate on IGF

Bill Drake
1)- working groups – participated as non-MAG members, continue the
tradition, not agree entirely – online discussion
important for inclusion

2) discussion about workshops – how many etc

Mark Carbell
Take input of CSTD WG Report

Izumi
I support what Bill said – for non-MAG members
What is important is the substance of the work, quality, and invite
non-MAG members on their specific areas of expertise to participate
(online, as well)

Also for plenary of MAG, in addition to the first and last part of the
session where observers could take the floor, I would like to suggest
that during the MAG discussions, if seemed appropriate by MAG member,
with Chair’s permission, to let non-MAG members to take the floor, on
specifics

Anriette
discuss the overall theme
Sweden – around Human rights –
need to find some modality to pull that together
It is important to get the big picture – before breaking up
Mark’s comment on CSTD WG, on document, outcome
I volunteer Taking Stock and SOP

Chengetai
For the Swedish
For CSTD WG, tomorrow, give briefing – tomorrow, 4 pm
For reading of types of workshop, good idea
to review the main sessions, we can – tomorrow morning on each item as we go

Chris
number of workshops – Bill’s point is important
if we have more workshops – crash more
- we could not get speakers we want because the speaker was also
speaking at the same time in different session

Chengetai – we can have max of 13 workshops concurrently, but only 4
concurrent sessions in a day

Paul Wilson
quality of workshops, we can’t guarantee the result
we can rely on the collective judgment
level of commitment of many workshops wasn’t good enough, to give
confidence – not serious approach taken,
relevance is important – some content is not relevant to IGF
  not about Internet Governance, but ICT only – not accept those
we should trim down, to make sure we have high quality
appeared to be repeated, not convincing

Chengetai
I do encourage WGs if they feel that WG does not make grade, delete them
Opening session – prerogative of the host country and UN, we can
listen to your comments

Vladimr – relevance is not problematic, but some are incomplete
Merging is second important

Jeff
- Eliminate some duplication
focus be incompleteness and merging
focus on Main Session and Feder workshops – for schedule reason

Bill Drake
Support what Paul said
One individual submitted 8 proposals
  CEO of Apple and IBM – skeptical
 putting some place-markers
respect bottom-up process and inclusiveness

Felix
Main theme – how was this arrived?
Internet Governance for sustainable human, economic and social development

Chengetai
The theme came MAG after long discussion on consensus

Izumi
Writing good program is one thing, implementing what they propose is another.

Somewhere in-between
Have there been ways/works by Secretariat, between now and November
before- if so how?  Is there also ways for MAG members to work with
the WS organizers, as well as

I like to hear non MAG members here on how to organize Main Session –
before we discuss about this

Chris,
changing the title, etc, is not our job

Chengetai
set number of workshops happen at the meeting
if they did not meet the criteria, make comments and communicated to
the organizer, to modify
we are not going to change the substantive part of workshops

Nurani
Paul’s comments were good
Role of MAG – to look at the relevance

Jimpson Olphe

Yuria
identify sub-themes in each Chapter/Theme
Some workshops did not reflect the global theme – what to do?

Chengetai – Feeder workshops have to answer the

Anriette
Merge-
broadening participation
narrow or broad difinition of Internet Governance

Collins, MAG, Uganda
concern – number of workshops
suggest Secretariat to make assessment team – of all workshops
 merge or put forward

Paul
Suggest to be reasonably ruthless
on Anriette’s point
provisional acceptance is good
but ask confirmed speakers – obliged –
 to eliminate Ghost speaker’s list
detailed session structure,
consistant approach for orange and green proposals
MAG member can, but not MAG as a whole to go individually proponents
that is too hands on

Chengetai – do we need another assessment?
Agenda – good
Workshops under multiple themes – if they may not apply to current
themes, but they may apply to alternate theme

Izumi
on merging – some caution – as I was– asked to merge the workshop by
MAG - before

Some workshops ended up too many speakers, no real time for
discussion, among the panel, and with participants

Lower grade, but room for improvement (without interfering the substance)
On diversity – especially increasing participation from developing
countries, measures should be taken with big picture
 no real assessment yet done

Bill Drake
Secretariat to take work of objective analysis – not right to burden
Secretariat on that workload

Mark

Qusai
Not eliminate some proposals, but help improve the quality

Remote – Zahid
focus on relevance, avoid overwrap

Mervi
Greatful for Baku Host to accommodate many rooms
As other organizations – Diplo or other, for capacity building, to
provide basic information on capacity building
Adpot soft approach for selection –

Lucida
on merging – were they given the right to decline?

Chengetai
since we have rooms, we do not have to force

Nurani
Stakeholder representing Swedish Government, like to emphasise on
strong focus on Openness and Human Right – welcome the proposal of
Bertrarand, to have roundtable, on human right
Option of Raportour

vladimr
Support Izumi to hear non MAG members
we should also discuss capacity building

Bill Drake
On background paper – it was not crystal clear that this is required
at the front end. Some don’t understand what is expected, encouraged
or mandatory.
It’s a matter of balance.

Aysha
these discussions, especially from new MAG members, are helpful when
we go into small WGs.

Sanja

Peter
background paper – necessary to have background paper
elimination – academic approach  - loosely
this is not a job-selection or university ranking
it’s a forum

Lian Guo, MAG members, from China
I agree with need for more participation from developing countries
read few proposals from China

Mark
UK IGF – to outreach
Conditionality approval
 anticipating further shift of process beyond this MAG process, not anticipated

Chengetai
when you come back, you will give secretariat, list of workshops – IF
they have more gender balance, geographic balance – that is easy for
secretariat to check