[governance] IGF Open Consultation memo, Morning, May 15

Ing. Stefano Trumpy stefano.trumpy at iit.cnr.it
Tue May 15 14:47:18 EDT 2012

>The morning meeting ended around 1300, here is my rough memo.
>Annotated, as it is Open consultation, but all are very sketchy.
>
>izumi

thanks Izuni, you succeed to let us (especially those that attended
at least one of these meetings) feel as we are present; I add a
consideration below concerning the so called "ministerial meeting in
the next IGF"

>May 15, 2012 11:25 Open Consultation starts
>
>UNDESA rep -
>Opening remarks
>over 100 workshops proposed for IGF 2012
>greater transparency, more information, contribute for better governance
>
>MR Elmir Valizda, Chair of MAG
>
>Robert Guerra
>Citizen Lab
>Update for Preparation, logistics, venue and other issues
>scarecity of details a problem -
>
>Chengetai
>Will have update, yes, just now.
>
>Constance, ISOC
>ISCO reception
>
>Question of participation of indigenes people
>rather than access to Internet, they need food, closing, shelters
>I need free and active participation from indigenes people
>
>Azerbaijan host to report:
>IGF Nov 6-9
>Nov 5 - ministerial meeting
>info on Baku/Azerbaijan
>
>All hotels (90) with reduced corporate rates, without 18% VAT
>46 hotels will be provided with shuttles
>17 hotels - no shuttles
>
>Izumi read Judy's comment:
>Physical Accessibility
>it is imperative that all locations/ venue , transport,etc is
>accessible and usable for PWD .
>
>Mervi, Finland
>Question on Ministerial Meeting
>who can participate?
>agenda?
>who are the organizer?
>
>Chair
>Mostly, ministers, but can consider to invite head of delegates

let me here to comment on this, starting from the experience in Nairobi;
the Kenyan government decided to organize this pre-IGF meeting and
invited ministers in a non homogeneous faction; it was not clear if
the meeting was for governments at the top level;
in the end the meeting has been a success and private sector and
Internet organizations had the floor; concerning non ministerial
government delegations, being part of Italian delegation headed by a
head of department, I had the chance to meet the Kenyan minister that
I knew from before and he said that of course our delegation was more
than welcomed to attend having the floor.
Since it appears that in Baku we sholud have a second experience in
this direction, this meeting should be organized in a clear way by
clarifying the following points: 1 is this event part of the IGF or
not: if not, specify the relation with IGF and give a purpose to
attract high level officials from around the world; 2 provide an
agenda and clarify possibly the multistakeholder approach; 3 define
that time slot for interventions from private sector and NGos
involved in Internet governence, etc.
I realize that I am suggesting what the local government should do
and this is inappropriate but, at least, the MAG and others should at
least make suggestioms.

Stefano

> [...]
>according to the procedure, the host country must sign agreement with
>UN DESA, and all issues are indicated in this agreement
>Issues on transportation, visa, equipmet, computers are fulle include
>toths agreement
>And now this is agreement - w can publish them in our website.
>
>Anna Neves, Portugal
>It is up to the host country to invite which Minister, yes. If it is
>ITU event, then invite telecom ministers. but if it is IGF, then not
>only telecom ministers.
>If you use ITU Detabase, please do not call as "IGF".
>On EC, puzzled. Strange. There is voluntary funding.
>
>Chair
>We can consider all of your proposal. During this event, you have
>possibility of contact from our delegation, you can provide some info
>on some ministries, please inform us, and we will invite these
>ministries. Please provide these.
>
>Bertrand de La Chappell
>On Visa, related to citizens of countries who may have political
>tensions and who may have difficulty - can you ensure that there will
>be no restriction.
>On EC, situation is extremely troublesome, painfully.
>It might be intentional - I don't believe that. Choice- wrong
>intensions or inefficiency - both are bad. Current situation is
>weakening the IGF.
>Chicken and Egg -we cannot hire because of funding, funding not coming
>because of uncertainty
>canceling the process - re-launching - take months
>
>MAG could, in due time, to designate its own Chair - as an option
>A voluntary desire to solve this problem
>
>DESA
>Communicated to donor community -
>we are not limiting them, trying hard
>recent situation with Google - working with lawyers, beyond control
>hope to solve this situation as soon as possible
>Recruitment process for EC
>we stay with one rule approved by member states
>no other way.
>
>Chengetai
>HCA - treated equal as UN
>
>Qusai
>Ministerial meeting - not IGF event, right?
>AZ's liberty - to organize
>

>LINCH Break
>
>Adam
>How many workshops are possible to be organized - how many rooms?
>
>Chengetai
>128 Workshop proposals - highest number submitted
>The venue can fit all workshops
>Do we want to have 12 workshops at the same time?
>
>Grading -
>above 12 - green
>below 12 - orange
>
>SOP  49
>Access 19
>EI, IG4D
>CIR 10%
>TS, WF  6%
>Others -
>
>Cade - how about dynamic coalitions and Open Forum?
>
>Chengetai - we need to consider them all.

>To edit your profile and to find the IGC's charter, see:

Ing. Stefano TRUMPY
CNR - Istituto di Informatica e Telematica

Phone: +39 050 3152634
Mobile: +39 348 8218618
E-mail: stefano.trumpy at iit.cnr.it
http://www.iit.cnr.it/en/node/345