[governance] CIRP+

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun May 13 06:38:30 EDT 2012

On Sunday 13 May 2012 03:54 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Not that you asked anyone other than Wolfgang, but
> I propose we fix the existing multistakeholder Internet governance organizations and leave the UN out of it.

I am not sure you mean only technical/ CIR governance part of IG or also
the larger public policies side, the kind of work that OECD's CICCP and
CoE does. As for the technical/ CIR gov part of IG the joint CS
statement that we circulated proposes not disturbing the distributed
governance system, though improvements are needed which you seem to
agree with. Only the US gov role in that system is not acceptable and
that should be moved from there.

I dont think it would do to ignore the other side of IG, that I dont see
you address. CoE writes cyber security policies and export it to other
countries, OECD writes principles for Internet-policy making and now
seeks other countries to accept it, same with ACTA, CoE writes search
engine guidelines, social networking guidelines, and by default they
will inflate to become global guidlelines or rules. I find this side of
IG even more important that the tech/CIR side. It is this other side of
global Internet policy making that is significantly shaping the Internet
as people of the world experience it, and people want to be able to
participate equally in the policy making process.

parminder