[governance] Re: CIRP+

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun May 13 02:31:37 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 09 May 2012 07:33 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
> If a new (UN) body should be created to fill a (possible) gap in the existing global Internet Governance Ecosystem, such a new body has to go beyond "advisory committees" and introduce a mechanism which follows the definition of "shared decision making". This would be new, but this is what is needed. We need here innovation and creativity in internaitonal politics. WGIG is a good example that this can work. The UNCSTD IGF Improvement WG has also demonstrated that it can be done. If a renewed CIRP proposal follows the WGIG model, it could be the starting point for a new discussion, embedded into the IGF discussions on a multistakeholder "Framework of Committments".

WGIG was an advisory body to the intergovernmental WSIS. It had no
independent standing or decision making capacity. So I am not sure if I
follow what you means by saying WGIG model should be followed. CIRP
proposes three separate advisory bodies which can of course draft clear,
written recs like WGIG did. I dont even see any special barrier for them
to do it together if they so wish, but then like WGIG report went to
WSIS, and it took and left out things that it wanted to to draft the
authoritative Tunis documents, the same may happen with CIRP/ GA.

Also, do remember that WGIG dealt with a more analytical issue of area
scoping/ defining etc which is a much more of a technical exercise than
actually deciding on thorny issues which have differential impacts on
different people/ groups/ countries. It is also significant to note that
on the most contentious issue of oversight mechanism, WGIG gave 4
alternative models for WSIS to decide on. CIRP advisory committees can
do all this.

Therefore the advisory and non decision making role of WGIG is clear. It
is as important to note that the more technical areas - whether
involving technology related decisions or related more to concept
defining, area mapping etc - can be dealt by mechanism that may be found
wanting for relatively  political and /or public policy decisions.

parminder