[governance] Seek for advice re:NomCom Chair

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Wed May 9 08:19:59 EDT 2012

Dear list,
Now that all five NomCom candidates accepted the selection, we need to
finalize the non-voting Chair.

The Charter says in http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-process
"A non voting chair will be appointed by the coordinators for each nomcom
with the advice of the IGC membership. In order to serve as a chair,
it is recommended
that a person has served in at least one nomcom previously."

So, first we like to ask you to provide your advice, suggestions, for
the Chair,
preferably someone served in previous nomcoms. Unfortunately, I do not
have the list of all the previous NomCom members and I am afraid I need to
go all the archives to find them which is prohibitively time-consuming for me.

Instead, I rely on your wisdom. Please make your advice based on your own
knowledge. Nomination or self-nomination is appreciated.

If you think it's better to keep it confidential, you can send your
nomination directly to either myself or Sala.

We also like to make some lessons learned from the last NomCom to be implemented
for the next round, and suggest you to read their Report and Cover
Letter, as attached.
Among them, I think the following suggestions are worth to consider.

We like to hear your comments on these as well before making the final
nomination
of the Chair.

We are open to any other advice or suggestions,

Thank you,

izumi

---------
- In addition to the randomly selected members, include two
experienced non-voting Co Chairs or Coordinators who would be
responsible for guiding and ensuring the process is integral and all
communications reach NomCom team members. Having two chairs will
preclude instances where the experienced non-voting member becomes
unavailable."

 - Duties and responsibilities of Chairs and of members should be made
clear at the outset of NomCom selection. In particular the time frame
of activation of NomCom should be stated at outset.