[governance] Rights issues in Azerbaijan / What will CS @ Baku do?

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Wed May 2 09:15:54 EDT 2012

On 2012-05-02, at 3:13 AM, Roland Perry wrote:

> In message <855077AC3D7A7147A7570370CA01ECD214F43D at SUEX10-mbx-10.ad.syr.edu>, at 22:03:02 on Tue, 1 May 2012, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> writes
>>> Do you at least agree it wasn't a "workshop"? I know it sounds pedantic,
>>
>> [Milton L Mueller] It was a reception with food. And your point is...?

First, let me preface my comments saying that I am associated with the CitizenLab, one of the founders and members of the Open Net Initiative.

That being said....

Roland, I disagree with how you characterize the event that took place in Sharm. Censorship is censorship , plain and simple.

> A workshop is part of the official programme, and both interruptions and poorly briefed organisers would be more serious.

The incident in Sharm was not the only one where the IGF secretariat has stepped in and stopped a critical conversation related to rights.

Last year's workshop session in Nairobi on - The Internet in the Post-Revolution Phase — Challenges of Political Engagement and the Safety of Citizens" was cancelled for reasons unknown at the very last minute. However, the people stayed in the room and a very lively and engaging conversation took place. In fact, the session - according to Keith Drazek from Verisign proved to be one of the successes of the whole event.

IGF Nairobi - Success of the Multi-stakeholder Model
http://www.circleid.com/posts/igf_nairobi_success_of_the_multi_stakeholder_model/

The Secretariat tried to remove the video archive of the session from the official record. But luckily, it was saved - let's see for how long.

regards

Robert

--
Robert Guerra