[governance] Rights issues in Azerbaijan / What will CS @ Baku do?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed May 2 03:13:20 EDT 2012

In message
<855077AC3D7A7147A7570370CA01ECD214F43D at SUEX10-mbx-10.ad.syr.edu>, at
22:03:02 on Tue, 1 May 2012, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> writes
>> Do you at least agree it wasn't a "workshop"? I know it sounds pedantic,
>
>[Milton L Mueller] It was a reception with food. And your point is...?

A workshop is part of the official programme, and both interruptions and
poorly briefed organisers would be more serious.

>> but attention to details like this can be very important. I recall a
>> discussion which went on for days, and was vitally important to several
>> stakeholders, about whether a particular ITU resolution should mention
>> "members" or "Members" [of the ITU], such is the playing field we work
>> on.
>
>[Milton L Mueller] It may be, but it is both unnecessary to make excuses or to invent post-hoc justifications for actions that are clearly
>intended to suppress the disseminations of critical ideas.
>
>Look, Roland, the IGF is supposed to be about fostering exchanges of ideas and networking among stakeholders. It is indisputable that the
>policies and practices you are retroactively inventing justifications for do neither. They are fundamentally at cross-purposes with the mission
>of the IGF. And if your response is that the UN system must act this way, then let's find a better space for these interactions.

"When in Rome..."  If you want to meet somewhere else, feel free.
--
Roland Perry