Now called: Compiling guideline points Re: [governance] May consultation: IGC input RP and access

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Tue May 1 10:08:32 EDT 2012

Speaking particularly to Jovan's mention of 'hubs' -

one of the recurring themes in the IGC space is that the IGF is not and
should not be considered as a meeting held once a year to discuss internet
governance issues. Rather it is a continuing process of dialogue.

That being the case, it would be desirable that the hubs should exist
within the same context - that is they should be active all the time to
extend the internet governance discussion into the global
community/communities. The IGF has spread outwards into regional and  local
IGFs; now perhaps micro-local, geographic community level IG discussion
needs to be encouraged, together with the wider ranging community of
interest groupings that can be facilitated by the technology.

The problems come with how to foster and encourage continuing discussion
and how to aggregate and synthesise the resulting ideas so that they can be
shared continually and considered by the widest possible community.

I seem to have an aptitude for dreaming impossible dreams :-(

But it should be possible to make a start by considering the hubs as
'permanent' creations which attempt to keep the discussion active
throughout the year with the 'reward' of the camaraderie which can be
occasioned by remote participation at the big annual meeting.

Ideally the hubs are up and running now and ready to participate.

Deirdre

--
“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979