[governance] Fw: ICANN News Alert -- ICANN Seeks Expressions of Interest for Review of Accountability Mechanisms

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Mar 12 13:19:27 EDT 2012

Imran and other colleagues in IGC:

ICANN is asking for people to volunteer to be on one of its own working groups, the ATRT.
I do not think IGC should form a separate working group; it could, instead, put forward people from this group who would serve on the ATRT.
The specific topics of this team will be the Reconsideration and Independent Review Process (IRP).
These are two alleged accountability mechanisms in ICANN that are known to be weak.
I participated in the Independent Review Process (IRP) during .xxx’s challenge to the Board decision trying to reject .xxx.
I therefore have experience with the IRP and its strengths and weaknesses, and have written analytical work on ICANN’s accountability issues, and thus I could be considered an “independent expert” of the sort requested. Therefore if there is support from IGC I would be willing to volunteer for it. If there are other people the IGC thinks qualified to put on it that would be good, too.