[governance] Regarding "the idea that a fully internationalised, representative ICANN Board can fulfill this oversight function"

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sun Mar 11 22:52:18 EDT 2012

On Mar 11, 2012, at 1:58 PM, Ian Peter wrote:

> Well, I don't reject it but I am not sure it is the best resolution.
>
> ICANN is morphing into a domainer industry body, with token representation
> of other stakeholders to indicate that it is being consultative. I would not
> like such an organisation to be making policy decisions for the Internet.

An actual separate domainer industry body that only developed policy
for the DNS system (via open and transparent processes) was actually
the original plan for the "DNSO" per the ICANN blueprint.  While that
model requires diligence to insure for equitable consideration of all
issues on their merits regardless of the parties participating, it has
the benefit of an smaller ICANN organization whose sole role is oversight
of the openness and transparency of processes and ratification of policies
developed in accordance with those processes (and instills a relatively
high immunity at the Board level regarding lobbying for policy changes.)

> Far better that there is external oversight if this is the direction
> - in that case replacing NTIA oversight with something more like a
> multistakeholder IGF would be better than trying to make ICANN
> something it is not and doesn't want to be.

Again, that was supposed to be the primary role of the ICANN Board, now
buttressed by both the GAC and the Affirmation of Commitments. I agree
that is very difficult to perform oversight of openness & transparency
of processes and the adherence to those processes for developed policy
if the ICANN Board is routinely an integral part of policy development.

FYI,
/John

(disclaimers apply: my views alone; no photons moved faster than light
in the writing of this email; warning - reading raw or underdeveloped
thoughts may increase your risk of developing various mental psychosis)