[governance] NTIA says ICANN "does not meet the requirements"for IANA renewal

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Mar 11 15:58:50 EDT 2012

Well, I don't reject it but I am not sure it is the best resolution.

ICANN is morphing into a domainer industry body, with token representation
of other stakeholders to indicate that it is being consultative. I would not
like such an organisation to be making policy decisions for the Internet.
Far better that there is external oversight if this is the direction - in
that case replacing NTIA oversight with something more like a
multistakeholder IGF would be better than trying to make ICANN something it
is not and doesn't want to be.

Ian