[governance] Cyber Dialogue 2012 / Conference details now online ...

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 12:38:45 EDT 2012

On 3/11/12, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> For those interested, I was invited to contribute a paper on some aspect of
> stewardship, and chose IP addressing.
> http://www.cyberdialogue.citizenlab.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/2012papers/CyberDialogue2012_Mueller.pdf

a few factual innaccuracies:

"The NRO’s status as the ASO in ICANN’s cor-
porate governance structure allows the RIRs’
chief executives to appoint people directly to
the ICANN board, and also allows it to place
people on ICANN’s nominating committee,"

is incorrect, it's the ASO AC that actually chooses see:

http://aso.icann.org/people/icann-board-elections/2012-elections/

and:

"While some of the RIRs
still have some available supplies"

seems to indicate that some RIRs do not.  I don't think this is the case.

and:

'The ASO of ICANN is nothing more than the
NRO, and the NRO is nothing more than a com-
bination of the staff and CEOs of the RIRs.'

This is not true either.  The ASO AC are elected folk from the RIR
communities.  They make the decisions, the NRO act as the secretariat
to support them.

and:

"With the Internet well established as the
dominant data communications protocol and
a globalized institutional framework in place
(ICANN) there is no longer any political reason
to delegate address allocation to regions. "

There is, folks in different regions still want to have regional
policies even after v4 depletion.

Come to the Gambia in May and tell the AfriNIC Policy Development
Working Group that we will be obsolete after v6 deployment, I'm sure
most would disagree.

--
Cheers,

McTim