[governance] Is this the same in Internet Governance?

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 03:57:55 EST 2012

As Alfonso says, it is nice to have a landing point, that Gurstein has
provided - I did interject at the time suggesting that the WIPO Trust
Fund for ensuring the participation of indigenous people could be a
model that could be used as it is tried and tested by a UN Body (so they
have worked out some of the institutional issues which could be emulated.

More generally, I have some thoughts on process etc.

What I read from Parminder's input is

a) the need for a healthy scepticism and prioritisation of "reason"
(i.e. win arguments because of persuasiveness and public interest - if
that is the priority for civic engagement. And that more credence needs
to be given to the views that have been hitherto marginalised,
especially in a space that is non-binding.

b) NOT that there is an unbridgeable divide between vested interests and
the public interest... a sound operating environment can benefit all,
but the public interests/developing countries should not bear the
disproportionate burden of adjustments etc. Therefore it is neither
ironic about Veni (of course it also depends on context at the time the
comments were made), nor that those affiliated with groups/IGF should
not make input. On the contrary, it is more vital that they state their
piece and be subject to the same rigour that for instance Parminder's
views are subject to. There are more important things to be politically
correct about. Trouble is that from an "objective" pov, some the
arguments made often either not stand up to scrutiny or are based on
different world views that are irreconcilable. But these are necessary
contradictions in social change. What we do have is a safe space that
can be used by all to maximise engagements on these issues so that the
evolution of the ICT paradigm can be not just left to the vagaries of
the market, but also serve higher ends that can/may be socially constructed.

This is not intended as a side swipe, but there is a tendency nowadays
to believe in the rule of technocrats and experts. Just cos someone can
read a programme or circuit design does not mean that their knowledge is
better because of that expertise... social sciences are different from
the natural sciences, within limits of the technology of course. And
here the issue is not to resolve matters but to have the correct
framing. Initiatives that promote Multistakeholderism without
recognising that those with money would naturally exercise
disproportionate power are problematic- but it is capable of management.
But my personal experience is that even basic process issues are not
taken seriously enough and abuses are just brushed aside as if the norms
of realpolitick should apply uniformly to norms informing public
interest. This will not do.

Riaz