RES: [governance] ICANN staff member and Stratfor

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 03:55:43 EST 2012

Unfortunately, I never know what this (focus) means.

On the one hand, it is simply a process issue - stick to the agenda.

On the other, it is stifling interrogation of public issues and the
public role of people in these processes. There might be a tinge of ad
hominem in this, but that is just how it goes in informal discussions -
the issue relates to principles and how we operate. Surely this is quite
important. Unless of course importance/civic engagement  is judged by
other measures like closeness to power or the will to preserve the
status quo.

So this is simultaneously about Veni, but also not about him - as this
is an issue that will endure.

What this does provide is an insight into how civil society is often an
ugly place where powerful players (like ICANN whose legitimacy at the
most generous is questionable) enter and influence issues in their own
interest, often in the guise of being "reasonable", "focussed",
"pragmatic" which as a/(one) Third Worldist is far too often code words
for shutting up about the "acceptably unsayable".

As long as reason is being used, these issues should be interrogated. Of
course since this is a "public" list, there is a "right" or opportunity
to be heard, but what this indicates is that civil society views can be
"bought and paid for" which would mean that public interests can be
marginalised or sidelined. Now this is not to say that private interests
(whether of the powerful or otherwise) and public interests cannot
coincide, it is just not necessarily so - eg that ICANN can do no good
(it can and has improved governance, etc), but it does mean that public
interests proponents have more reason to sceptical of a confluence of
interests which ought to be subject to greater interpretation. And there
needs to be much more toleration of dissent as well as diversity (it is
often painful to read the interactions with Parminder and others, to be
frank - but things are a lot better since the good ol' days of Bolton
and Bush).

The ticket, for me, to participate in civil society is reason. We
cooperate based on some universal conceptions that hopefully allows us
to come sort of consensus. We talk in universals and abstractions so
that issues can be moved collectively. But these abstractions are
subject to paradiastole, parochial interpretations, manipulation by
dominant interests, etc, etc. So Debates like this allow us not only to
be instrumentalist but focus on being self-reflective, at least up to a
point.

What is important for me at a general level is that we can no longer
take lightly the disproportionate power wielded by powerful actors who
make common cause with civil society players, common cause may be more
contingent than many would prefer. Simply because powerful players are
effective does not in any way mean that they or their actions are more
legitimate.

riaz