[governance] Remote Participation

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 09:11:01 EST 2012

Tim,

(Sorry that this got caught up in my recent e-travails...

My comments were to try to put the IGF's interest in RP into some broader
context (which is where it should be seen IMHO...

You queried specifically my comments on "writings on RP"... I wasn't
thinking specifically in the area of Community Informatics although there is
a large research literature on participating in virtual
communities/processes (the current Videocom project here in Canada being
one) ... Rather I was pointing to the research on remote conferencing
(focusing specifically on videoconferencing in the MIS and IS literatures
going back dare I say it, some 30 years now including some very early
attempts by the UN and others to include formal videoconferencing processes
as part of their on-going operations.

If one includes things like technical and social/organizational research on
remote work/virtual engagement there is a huge literature in the area and a
very strong linkage into various kinds of technical/commercial developments
to support the virtualization of work and remote practice/participation.

There really is no reason to repeat mistakes, not use low cost state of the
art technologies (including social/management practices), build on previous
experiences, and provide various of the commercial players in this sphere
(and all the majors and no end of start-ups are involved) in a high profile,
reasonably controlled environment for doing their beta implementations... To
do this all that is really needed I would expect, is a relatively small
amount of professional time from someone (they even exist in the UN system
and certainly within every national bureaucracy) who actually knows
something about RP beyond the attempts to re-create something that has been
around for decades (in one form or another) on an ad hoc, semi-emergency,
resourceless basis, every year.

(Among the things that can be learned from even a very casual acquaintance
with the research literature and experience from the broad field of current
practice are the opportunities and particularly the limitations on "remote
participation" and that is where I think our discussions particularly
concerning RP policy should begin.

Derrick Cogburn from the U. of Syracuse seems no longer to be part of these
discussions but he has been working on this area as his main research
interest (including launching this stuff within WSIS/IGF) for years and
re-engaging with him and some of his grad students would probably be a
worthwhile exercise.