[governance] FW: [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jun 27 06:25:50 EDT 2012

On Monday 25 June 2012 07:17 PM, Riaz K Tayob wrote:
> Parminder
>
> Can this issue of the Chinese proposal (whatever its technical merits
> or demerits - which if taken in the context of the debate of a single
> root - is neither here nor there) not be seen as a response to
> recalcitrance of the international community to get a legitimate (and
> effective) governance system? This along the evolutionary path this
> issue has followed from the marginalisation of the importance of CIR
> at WSIS, to IGF-MS and "enhanced" cooperation failing to even raise
> the issue meaningfully (with lots of cheerleaders in civil and uncivil
> society "doing what is possible")...
>
> In other words the problem IS ICANN, and Internet Civil Society
> discourse... In this context, de jure USG "control" over the CIR  of
> "net" the moves by the Chinese are hard to dismiss ethically, unless
> one has some serious tolerance for double standards... or am I getting
> it wrong again?

Riaz,

While I agree that the manner in which Internet's technical architecture
is being managed today can be seen as providing the justification for
alternatives of the kind presented by China in its 'Autonomous Internet'
proposal, I think it is quite a dangerous move. The attempt obviously is
to map the Internet over geo-political boundaries of nation states,
which would nullify some of the most important promises and potentials
of the Internet.

A transnational Internet provides a transnational socio-political force
that causes significant tension to the nation state wise organisation of
our societies. If properly harnessed, this positive tension can confront
and possibly correct many negative features of our current macro social
organisation. I wont go into the detials here, but the drift of this
assertion I am sure will be clear to you.

However, at the same time, the same trans-nationality of the Internet
has two very important negative effects

(1) it further entrenches the trend opened up by globalisation whereby
global capital is increasingly rid of any kind of political controls,
the latter being nation-state based, at least at present. This will
remain so till appropriate global political structures are built, which,
as we have seen, are strongly resisted by many for obvious reasons.

(2) It enables the US at the head of a unipolar world to extend its
political, social, economic and cultural control in a manner that would
have been hitherto impossible, before the Internet age.

Obviously, as we have seen, the two negative effects (1) and (2) act
strongly in concert, and we are witnessing the emergence of a new
unipolar economic-political system, centred in the US, but catering
mostly to its richer classes, and secondarily to the co-opted richer
classes of other counties (including from the developing countries).
This new global economic-political system ( i am looking for a pithy
name for it, suggestions are welcome :) ) employs the Internet as one of
its principal techno-social means of global control and domination.

So, we, as in those interested in the global public interest, are facing
two opposing pulls, whereby the trans-nationality of the Internet has
both significant good and bad impacts. The main political question that
we face is; how we can preserve the good impacts to the maximum and at
the same time fight and resist the negative trends.

This requires nuanced responses in the IG space. We cannot allow
Internet's promising transnationality to go away, as attempted by the
Chinese proposal, but at the same time we must strongly confront the
growing power of the global business and the US, and the emerging
problematic alliances between them. I understand that this can best be
done by strengthening global governance institutions, in a manner that
employs both idealism and pragmatism, meaning sufficient historical
continuity. This is one of the prime responsibilities of the global
civil society, to which, regrettably it hasnt risen as yet.

regards, parminder