[governance] FBI, DEA, IPv6 & ICANN

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 27 03:19:28 EDT 2012

On Jun 27, 2012, at 8:54 AM, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:

> Dear people,
>
> Yesterday (jun.26) here at ICANN 44 meeting in Prague, we had a meeting of the ICANN board with the stakeholder group in which I participate (NCSG). I had the opportunity to ask the board what they thought ICANN should do about the FBI & DEA meddling in IPv6 deployment, as they (ICANN) are the planet's governance body for names, *numbers* and protocols.
>
> ICANN's Tom Anders immediately replied ICANN has nothing to do with it. I was surprised, not only by Tom's statement, but also by the absolute silence of the board on this issue.

Carlos -

   I am the Chair of the NRO, which serves as the Address Supporting
   Organization within the ICANN structure.  The ICANN ASO advises
   the ICANN Board on issues and policies related to Internet number
   resources.

   I'd be happy to meet with you in Prague at any time this week to this
   concern, but will also note that there is a session specifically on
   IPv6 at the ICANN Prague meeting (it on being held on Thursday -
   <http://prague44.icann.org/node/31803>) which would also provide an
   opportunity to raise it in a public forum context.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
ARIN President and CEO