[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Jun 26 00:01:29 EDT 2012

Parminder suggests a structure to take over the unilateral USG role in root
zone management (among other things).

I have a different proposal altogether ­ just strike it. The oversight
function is completely unnecessary, and there enough checks and balances in
current procedures to not need such a role.

Just get rid of it. Make a decision that it is in the best interests of the
internet not to have the perception of unilateral control of any functions.

If the USG insists on maintaining a role, sign  a similarly worded agreement
with GAC.

If nothing is done, the default solutions governments will come up with are
likely to be far worse.

Which is why we should act. I get frustrated by those organisations and
individuals who are in a position to take a lead on such matters but instead
do nothing. A pro-active stance is needed!

This is just part of the DNS, as Louis Pouzin points out. The current
appropriate forum for governance in DNS matters is ICANN. Improvement of
ICANN is another matter, but we do not need another body- or another
function or an anachronistic agreement or set of agreements - to get in the
way of sensible internet governance.

The Internet has grown up, some old procedures are now not only unneccessary
but unhealthy. For the health of the Internet, we should get rid of them.

Ian Peter