[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Jun 25 18:46:18 EDT 2012

Daniel,

On Jun 25, 2012, at 12:04 PM, Daniel Pimienta wrote:
>> The historical (and RFC 1591 documented) policy in these cases was for IANA to refuse to do the requested action until the parties could reach consensus.
> Well, this is not what IANA did in the case of the Haitian ccTLD (.ht) and this wrong decision caused Haiti to remain without working national domain for many years (from 1997 to after 2004, date of the redelegation...) and surprised many experts.

Thanks for the pointer to this case -- I was unaware of it.  Makes for very interesting reading (well, at least for someone interested in IANA stuff).  I would agree that IANA didn't follow its own documented policies back in 1997.  This may be one of the reasons dealing with the cases where the government and "the Internet community" disagree became so challenging.  However, with respect to the topic at hand, I'd note that back then, there really wasn't any oversight -- no one (USG or otherwise) was directly in the loop to ensure policies were followed. It was basically Jon who made the call, although he did consult with some folks (no idea who) in complicated cases (the IDNB mentioned in RFC 1591).  I suspect part of the rationale for the Byzantine nature of root zone management processes today is a result of ancient history like this.

Regards,
-drc