[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 22:22:01 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 23 June 2012 09:17 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:
>
> Parminder,
>
> What I believe McTim and I, and David, are saying, is that the sledgehammer
> cannot be directed.

Right, they could try, but they would fail.

> Messing with the root zone file in any way - always - would hit everyone's
> fingers.
>
> It would be the opposite of 'maintaining stability of the net.'
>
> And, OFAC would have that explained to them in whatever way works,
> metaphorically or not, should they ever attempt to go there, by NTIA, and
> others.
>
> So yeah, again, totally understand why others might be nervous about the
> sledgehammer lying in the corner, we're all just saying - it's too heavy for
> anyone to try to pick up.

While true, that's not the point I have been making over the last 7
years.  My point is while
the current setup is sub-optimal from a political/policy perspective
the USG is just not
going to let go of this particular function, it's political suicide
for any Administration.

I don't think there actually needs to be an external oversight body,
but that belief is made moot
by the knowledge that "giving up the Internet" is just not going to
fly with the US electorate.

To be clear to Riaz and Parminder and others, there are zero John
Boltonish/US exceptionalists
on this list, however some of us are just more practical than others.
I would appreciate if some could accept this and stop misconstruing
the positions of others.

Of course, YMMV and y'all can tilt at whatever windmill you may
choose, but don't count on my support.

--
Cheers,

McTim