[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Jun 19 10:09:25 EDT 2012

On Jun 19, 2012, at 3:31 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> The physical control of the machine is not important (unless its
> operator decides to break free; unlike David Conrad, I regard this as
> highly unlikely
> <http://masonlee.org/2009/12/18/dns-takeover-1998/>).

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression here. I consider the chances the root server operators would decide to refuse to serve the root zone as infinitesimally unlikely, similar in probability to the US government "going rogue" in a way that would impact the root zone.  I am merely pointing out that _if_ the US government were to decide to do something insanely stupid, there would be mechanisms by which those actions could be addressed (in a stunningly destructive way).  This is why I've made analogy to Mutual Assured Destruction nuclear doctrine.

Regards,
-drc