[governance] RE: FW: [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Mon Jun 18 11:00:49 EDT 2012

Mike,

I fear you have made an unwarranted assumption here - "technical people seem to assume that all issues concerning the Internet will be determined by technical people on technical grounds."

Speaking for myself alone: no, not at all; what many of us do believe is that:

1.  you won't be able to apply just any given social/political view model to the technology without considering the constraints that the technology carries with it (the "physics" of the Internet).

2. A lot of careful thought and decades of experience have gone into designing and implementing technology, so very often it has already been crafted in function of not purely technical concerns. The design for resilience of the root-zone server system is but one small example. People need to listen, study, and understand this well.

3. Many in the technical community were not only glad but actually proactive in seeking knowledge and understanding from such non-technical fields as economics, political science, and international relations. We have often been underwhelmed and disappointed.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

! !! !!! !!!!
NEW PHONE NUMBER - NUEVO NÚMERO DE TELÉFONO

+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO

SMS +525541444475
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM, Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org