[governance] Re: FW: [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Mon Jun 18 06:54:00 EDT 2012

> Even if we know that "root servers" are very well distributed across
> the world / countries trough a collaborative system, chinese see
> this as a "central control".

I'm always amazed by the amount of ignorance in some people in
governance discussions. Google's servers are "well distributed across
the world", even more than the DNS root name servers. Does it mean
they are not centrally controlled by Google?

The root zone can be modified (even for small technical changes) only
when there is an express approval by the US governement. Isn't it
"central control"? Pretending that the physical location of root name
servers diminishes this control is quite ridiculous.