[governance] "Oversight"

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Jun 14 12:05:57 EDT 2012

From: William Drake [mailto:william.drake at uzh.ch]

Given what we've experienced and discussed endlessly within ICANN with regard to GAC's inability to meaningfully interface with the PDP, 12th hour objections to aspects of the new gTLD program, insistent channeling of IPR/LEA special interests, etc etc., I'm not sure I get what you're now advocating:

1.  A "stronger" GAC that's more than advisory (as per, it seems, the ALAC proposal)?
2.  A GAC whose members are bound by/reflective of greater accountability, transparency and inclusion at the national level?
3.  A GAC whose members are bound by/reflective of greater accountability, transparency and inclusion at the international level, to be achieved through treaty negotiations (what fun!)?
4.  A GAC that reports to or is even replaced by some UN entity?
5.  A GAC that just goes back into the sleepy hibernation of years past, or goes away?

None of the above.

1.       Abolish the GAC.

2.       Develop a legal agreement formalizing ICANN's accountability, limiting its powers, and limiting the powers of governments over it. Let govts ratify that treaty.

3.       If you don't like the second step, then complete the transition of ICANN to fully private status and define a membership status that makes it truly accountable.