[governance] Reminder: The Big Reveal is in One Hour

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Jun 14 08:06:35 EDT 2012

In message <4FD9CF36.7010800 at itforchange.net>, at 17:17:02 on Thu, 14
Jun 2012, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
>From those who know better, I will like to know whether the present new
>set of new tlds is of unrestricted gtlds like .com etc, which I
>understand should be open for anyone to register a web space under, and
>no discrimination can be made (other then clear criteria of trademark
>etc) or are they all private tlds that the owner can decide to do
>whatever about.

My understanding is that only the "community" and "geographic"
applications are made on the basis of making second level names
available to suitably qualified members of that community.

The remainder are either clearly for use only by the applicant (and
sometimes his customers... if there had been a .facebook that might have
been issued to accountholders, but I can't see why .barclays would be a
tld intended for other than corporate use), or as pseudo communities
like .accountants and new enterprises based on more eye-catching domains
such as .sucks rather than .sucks.com

I have a lot of sympathy for ICANN's position as expressed yesterday:
"You asked us to develop a process for increasing the number of gTLDs,
we have no view on the merit of what they might be used for, once they
have passed the various tests we have in place".

It's a bit late to be asking "remind me - why do we need more gTLDs"
eight years into the process.
--
Roland Perry